Title: Staff Attorney
Reports to: Director of Litigation and Advocacy
Exempt Salary: $76,704 – $88,944 based on years of experience
Location: NCLEJ’s office is located in New York City. Preference for NYC-based candidates.
NCLEJ’s Mission and Work:
The National Center for Law and Economic Justice (NCLEJ) advances racial and economic justice for low-income families, individuals, and communities across the country, using groundbreaking impact litigation, policy advocacy, and support for grassroots organizing. NCLEJ works to build systems that provide economic security and full participation in society to all. Our current advocacy focuses on: (1) safeguarding access to government benefits; (2) advancing the rights of lower wage workers; (3) combatting abusive debt collection and wealth extraction; and (4) advocating for disability rights and disability justice. We litigate extensively in federal and state courts across the country, typically as lead counsel in class actions, and we partner with grassroots and community-based organizations, other legal organizations, and the private bar.
Staff Attorney’s Role:
NCLEJ seeks to hire an attorney with a strong commitment to racial, disability, and social justice and 2-6 years’ experience to engage in impact litigation and advocacy on an expanding range of civil rights and economic justice issues. While all NCLEJ attorneys have opportunities to work across practice areas, this position will have a strong focus on racial justice, supporting litigation and advocacy to redress and prevent discriminatory policing, fines and fees.
Qualifications and Experience of the Ideal Candidate:
• 2-6 years’ hands-on experience with major impact litigation, including drafting complaints and briefs, all phases of the discovery process, settlement negotiations, evidentiary hearings, trials and appeals.
• Significant experience with non-litigation advocacy such as policy advocacy, communications, support of grassroots organizing and/or coalition work, preferably in a racial justice context.
• Ability to work effectively with colleagues and clients from a great diversity of backgrounds.
• Commitment to racial and social justice and NCLEJ’s mission.
• Ability to understand and navigate issues of identity, power and privilege with clients, partners, and colleagues.
• Experience working with disenfranchised communities and/or those directly impacted by the criminal legal system.
• Care and respect for people who are system-involved.
• Excellent legal research, writing, and oral advocacy skills.
• Strong project and time manager with a demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team.
• J.D. degree, admission to the Bar of at least one state, and ability to get admitted in NY.
Benefits: NCLEJ has a generous benefits package including health, dental, and vision insurance; 15-24 vacation days and 10-15 sick days per year (based on length of service); 13 paid holidays per year; an FSA plan for medical, childcare, and transit expenses; an Employee Assistance Program; and employer contributions to individuals’ 403(b) plans.
Vaccination Requirement: To help ensure that NCLEJ continues to operate in the safest manner possible, NCLEJ requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Requests for medical and/or religious exemptions from the vaccination requirement will be considered on an individual basis, to the extent required by law.
For more information, click here.