Spokane County Public Defender Office seeks Attorneys
This position performs legal work for the Public Defender. The position allocated to this class is the first and entry working level of this series; and is responsible for performing civil and/or criminal legal work under the general direction of the Public Defender or under the direct guidance, as needed, of a higher level attorney. Employees, while allocated to this class, are expected to display an ability and willingness to assume responsibility and advance rapidly to a state of functional individual competency in the employee’s assigned area. Area of work is assigned and reviewed for accuracy and completeness at the onset of employment; as experience is gained, less review and supervision will be provided. All work is performed within the policy guidelines of the Public Defender and applicable law. Positions of this class may be expected to assume the responsibilities of work of a higher class for training purposes.Promotion from an Attorney 1 to an Attorney 2 is determined by an affirmative recommendation of the department.
Examples of Duties
· Assists or independently represents the County or a client in court, at trials, hearings arraignments, depositions; files charges, arraigns defendants, sets release conditions, and schedules hearings; offers settlement negotiations; files legal documents and papers; and interviews witnesses, plaintiffs, victims, and/or clients/suspects.
· Evaluates the facts and examines evidence of specific cases or assignments.
· Conducts legal research, provides legal opinions or memorandums and drafts deeds, leases, contracts and correspondence.
· Addresses issues, questions and concerns from clients and/or their representatives regarding statutory procedures and requirements.
· Responds to written motions.
· Oversees the direct and cross examination of witnesses.
· Reviews pela paper work for accuracy.
· Prepares trial memoranda and jury instructions.
· Performs other related duties as required/assigned.
· Juris Doctor (J.D.) from an accredited college or university school of law.
· Licensed to practice law, with WA State Bar Association membership in good standing.
o If not yet admitted to the practice of law, candidates may be hired who possess a J.D. and have functioned as a licensed Rule 9 Legal Intern with Spokane County in the nine (9) months prior to their employment application date. If hired under Rule 9 status, candidates must sit for and pass the WA State Bar Examination and be admitted to the practice of law in WA State within one year of graduation from law school as a condition of continued employment.
· One (1) year of prior experience as a law clerk or legal intern is preferred.
· Knowledge of principles and practices of criminal or civil law as required by the position.
· Knowledge of judicial procedures and rules of evidence.
· Skilled in communicating effectively both orally and in writing, sufficient to exchange or convey information and to give and receive work direction.
· Skilled in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with the general public and parties affected by the court and administration.
· Ability to analyze, evaluate and organize facts, evidence and legal procedures and to present information orally and in writing in a clear and logical form.
· Ability to analyze and prepare a variety of legal documents and instruments.
Salary: $57,304.51 – $80,205.64 Annually
Location: 1033 W. Gardner Spokane, WA 99260
Apply online here for immediate consideration: Attorney 1 (OPEN CONTINUOUSLY) | Job Details tab | Career Pages (governmentjobs.com).
Several vacancies currently available.