We are looking for a dynamic leader who can lead the agency in the areas of administration, operations, and strategic planning. Equally important is a commitment to fostering a diverse, equitable, inclusive, and respectful work environment. As the OAH Director, you will also serve as the Chief Administrative Law Judge (Chief ALJ). OAH has 232 FTE’s, including 122 administrative law judges (ALJs). As the Chief ALJ, you will be responsible for establishing a performance management framework and standards to ensure agency employees provide high quality and timely adjudicatory services in an efficient manner and promote access to justice for Washingtonians.
In this role, you’ll be responsible for administering a biennial budget of $72.2 million, including allocating resources and establishing priorities and balancing needs between disparate funding programs. You’ll also be responsible for the following:
- Stakeholder engagement: Ensuring systems are in place to support quality and independence of hearings held for other agencies, while protecting and preserving the decisional independence of OAH ALJs.
- Representing OAH in making presentations and collaborative efforts with external stakeholders such as the Washington State Bar Association (WSBA), national organizations (e.g., the American Bar Association and Central Panel Adjudicatory Agency Directors), and other entities in the legal community in Washington and nationally.
- Field operations: Reviewing and resolving complaints about OAH ALJs from parties in hearings or stakeholders. Ensure interagency agreements are established and followed as appropriate.
- Risk management: Establishing an enterprise risk management approach to managing and allocating resources.
- Performance: Ensuring the high-quality performance of ALJs, legal support staff, and administrative staff with training and quality assurance programs.
- Rulemaking: Responsible for managing the process to update the Model Rules of Administrative Procedure (Chapter 10-08 WAC) for administrative hearings for all state agencies.
For full job posting, click here. Feel free to distribute this posting to anyone who you feel would be a good candidate for this position.
Please contact OFM Talent Acquisition Manager Ashley Harris (email@example.com) with any questions.