Ends: Open Until Filled
The Washington State Office of Public Defense (OPD) Appellate Program currently provides state funded attorney representation to indigent clients with a right to counsel at State expense before the Washington State Court of Appeals and the Washington State Supreme Court. OPD seeks to fill a contract for representation primarily in Division III of the Washington State Court of Appeals, beginning as soon as July 1, 2023.
A qualified applicant must:
• Be a licensed member of good standing with the Washington State Bar
• Meet Washington State Supreme Court Standard for Indigent Defense 14.3 qualifications to represent indigent clients on appeal
• Demonstrate a commitment to indigent defense
• Possess experience or interest in how race, gender, national origin, disability, and class intersect to create disparities for individuals experiencing state intervention in their lives, and a willingness to challenge the
State on issues of bias and prejudice.
• Provide representation with energy, enthusiasm and a commitment to trauma-informed, anti-racist, intersectional, non-judgmental advocacy throughout the case
• Be familiar with appellate procedure in the State of Washington
• Demonstrate skill at spotting appellate issues in a case file
• Be responsive to and communicate clearly with clients who are often under great stress
OPD will prefer applicants who:
• Are physically located within the jurisdiction of Division III of the Washington State Court of Appeals
• Have experience in dependency and termination trials or appeals
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. To apply, email a letter of interest identifying your
qualifications, a resume, and a writing sample, preferably an appellate brief filed in a Washington State appellate
court. Letters of interest should describe the applicant’s current contracts for public defense or other representation
as well as existing caseload, specifying the number and type of cases currently carried, if any.
Email Materials to:
Debbie Coplen – Program Assistant
Please address any questions to Debbie Coplen at the above email address.
For more information, click here.