THE NEIGHBORHOOD DEFENDER SERVICE OF HARLEM (NDS) is a community-based, client-centered, holistic public defense office located in Harlem, providing criminal, civil, and family defense representation. NDS Clients are represented by multidisciplinary teams. NDS is accepting applications for the position of Supervising Attorney of the Youth Law Team, within the Criminal Defense Practice.
The Criminal Defense Practice at NDS represents residents of Northern Manhattan who are charged with crimes and cannot afford to hire a lawyer. The Youth Law Team represents children accused as delinquents in Family Court and PINS petitions; and teenagers who are prosecuted in the Youth Part of Supreme Court (both Juvenile Offenders, ages 13-15, and Adolescent Offenders, ages 16-17). In addition to the supervisor, the Youth Law Team consists of a defense attorney, an education attorney and a mitigation specialist. These advocates coordinate with other members of the Criminal Defense Practice, including investigators and team administrators, and members of NDS’s other practice areas to provide our youngest clients with representation that addresses the underlying issues that brought them in contact with the criminal legal system. The Youth Law Team Supervisor is responsible for leading the Youth Law Team and maintaining its operations, and for carrying a reduced caseload of youth law cases.
- Provide vigorous representation with energy and enthusiasm to young residents of Northern Manhattan;
- Embrace NDS’ philosophy of client-centered, community-based, holistic representation and commitment to excellence;
- Train and supervise Staff Attorneys on representation of youth, including by providing regular feedback and participating in a yearly evaluation process;
- Coordinate the work and operations of the Youth Law Team, including by managing intake schedules and caseloads;
- Ensure collaboration with the rest of the Criminal Defense Practice and cross-practice colleagues (family defense, immigration defense, housing defense and other civil defense) to obtain comprehensive legal outcomes for clients;
- Represent NDS and the Youth Law Team in communications with the court, city, media, elected officials and other stakeholders.
- Must possess a demonstrated commitment to indigent defense, social justice issues and/or the Harlem communities.
- Must have a demonstrated commitment to holistic and client-centered approach to representation.
- Must have at least five years of experience representing clients in criminal cases and some experience representing clients prosecuted in Family Court and the Youth Part of Supreme Court.
- Must have experience litigating criminal cases at hearing and trial.
- Must possess a high level of organizational and administrative skills and be able to multitask in a fast-paced environment.
- Must have active listening skills and ability to give and receive constructive feedback.
- Must be able to work cooperatively in a team setting.
- Must be able to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Must have previous experience training, supervising, teaching or mentoring attorneys or legal interns.
- Must be flexible about work location and an ability to split time between Manhattan’s downtown courts and NDS’s main office in Central Harlem.
- Bi-lingual (Spanish) candidates are encouraged to apply.
Compensation is commensurate with experience and is in adherence to the NDS compensation scale. For this position, the salary range with 5-36 years of directly relevant experience is $86,791 to $173,583. Full medical and dental benefits, as well as other benefits, are provided.
For more information, click here.