Thurston County Public Defense (TCPD) is currently recruiting for TWO full-time Defense Attorney positions. A Defense Attorney practices in either District Court, Juvenile Court or Superior Court with moderate supervision from a higher-level defense attorney. Immediate placement for these positions will be in District Court for Misdemeanor representation consistent with the District Court summary of duties below.
- Manages a full misdemeanor and gross misdemeanor caseload. Prepares cases for trial, pre-trial and post-trial hearing and/or plea bargains the cases with the Deputy Prosecuting Attorney. Also, handles miscellaneous calendar duties such as arraignment calendars, initial appearance calendars and interpreter calendars.
- Manages a full or partial caseload of B and C felonies. Prepares cases for trial, pre-trial and post-trial hearing and/or plea bargains with the Deputy Prosecuting Attorney. Handles miscellaneous court hearings, including but not limited to, preliminary calendars, arraignment calendars and non-compliance calendars.
- Manages a full caseload of parents in dependency and termination cases, including representation at all statutorily required hearings, conferences and family treatment court. Performs case evaluation, additional investigation, trial/hearing preparation, settlement negotiations, motions and trials.
Other responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Reviews police reports, interviews witnesses, works with court and prosecutor to resolve cases.
- Appropriately utilizes non-attorney professional services.
- Reviews reports from DSHS, interviews appropriate parties, works with the attorney general, case workers, social workers, experts, court and related court personnel to resolve cases.
- Performs a variety of legal office work, prepares appropriate legal pleadings, does necessary research, maintains required statistical information.
- Maintains accurate and complete statistical information to be used for future needs and projections.
- Performs other legal work as required.
For more information, including how to apply, please click here.