The United States District Court for the Western District of Washington seeks applicants to fill the vacant magistrate judge position. The magistrate judge duty station will be Seattle, Washington. The position is available starting May 1, 2021.
The duties of the position are demanding and wide-ranging, and include the following:
- Conduct most preliminary proceedings in criminal cases including initial appearances, detention and preliminary hearings, and change of plea hearings.
- Issue search and seizure warrants.
- Conduct trials and sentencing hearings in misdemeanor cases.
- Preside over civil matters upon referral from a United States District Judge, including prisoner civil rights cases, federal habeas corpus petitions, a high volume of Social Security appeals, and other civil matters such as discovery disputes.
- Conduct settlement conferences.
- Preside over civil cases upon consent of the parties, including jury trial and entry of final judgment.
For more information, including how to apply, click here.