|Deputy I – PD (Open Positions: 1)
Closes On: June 6, 2021 at 11:59 PM PST
Location: Public Defender’s Office, Bellingham, WA 98225
|Whatcom County Public Defender’s Office is seeking a Deputy I Public Defender.
This position is full time, grant funded until 12/31/22.
· Acts as court-appointed counsel representing individuals accused of misdemeanors or felonies in superior, district and juvenile courts.
· Represents appointed clients in all phases of criminal proceedings, including arraignment, pretrial hearings, trial preparation, plea negotiations, trial and sentencing.
· Responsible for the investigation and preparation of each case assigned.
· Represents indigents in involuntary commitment proceedings and dependency proceedings.
· Primary caseload consists of misdemeanor, juvenile, or felony cases based upon experience.
· Assists management and other staff, as directed. Complies with legal standards and requirements.
For the full scope of the job view the job description:
· Deputy I – PD
Supervisor: Chief Deputy
|Must be a current member in good standing of the Washington State Bar Association, OR must be a current member in good standing of another State Bar Association AND must become a member of the Washington State Bar Association by passing the next Washington State Bar exam.
Spanish language fluency is desired.
Background Check must meet County Criteria for criminal justice positions.
Must have a driving record that meets County standards and possess a valid driver’s license at time of hire and throughout employment.
- Range 330
Hiring Range: $5,411 – $5,851, DOQ
Full Salary: $5,411 – $7,076
This position receives annual pay increases to the next step in the associated salary range.
Excellent Whatcom County Benefits:
Comprehensive benefits package with 100% employer paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and dependents. Generous paid leave program, an average of 12 paid holidays per year, short and long-term disability. WA State Retirement System plus two additional deferred compensation programs with County match. A $50,000 Life Insurance policy is also provided for employees with the option to purchase family coverage. Additional benefit information is available online.