Whatcom County Public Defender’s Office is seeking a Deputy I Public Defender (click here for online application)
- Acts as court-appointed counsel representing individuals accused of misdemeanors or felonies in superior, district and juvenile courts. ·
- Represents appointed clients in all phases of criminal proceedings, including arraignment, pretrial hearings, trial preparation, plea negotiations, trial and sentencing. ·
- Responsible for the investigation and preparation of each case assigned. ·
- Primary caseload consists of misdemeanors. Juvenile, or felony cases may be assigned based upon experience.
- Assists management and other staff, as directed. Complies with legal standards and requirements.
For the full scope of the job view the job description by clicking here.
Must be a current member in good standing of the Washington State Bar Association, OR must be a current member in good standing of another State Bar Association AND must become a member of the Washington State Bar Association by passing the next Washington State Bar exam. Spanish language fluency is desired.
Background Check must meet County Criteria for criminal justice positions. Must have a driving record that meets County standards and possess a valid driver’s license at time of hire and throughout employment.
Range: $5,755 – $6,223 DOQ. Full Salary: $5,755 – $7,526. This position receives annual pay increases to the next step in the associated salary range.
Excellent Whatcom County Benefits: Comprehensive benefits package with 100% employer paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and dependents. Generous paid leave program, an average of 13 paid holidays per year, short and long-term disability. WA State Retirement System plus two additional deferred compensation programs with County match. A $50,000 Life Insurance policy is also provided for employees with the option to purchase family coverage. Additional benefit information is available online.
Application Special Instructions
Please attach a resume and cover letter to your online application using the document upload area within the application. Interviews will take place August 13 & 16, 2021.