Whatcom County Public Defender’s Office is currently recruiting for an experienced Deputy II attorney to fill a
key role in the department.
• Acts as court-appointed counsel representing individuals accused of misdemeanors or felonies in superior, district
and juvenile courts.
• Represents appointed clients in all phases of criminal proceedings, including arraignment, pretrial hearings, trial preparation, plea negotiations, trial and sentencing.
• Responsible for the investigation and preparation of each case assigned.
• Primary caseload consists of misdemeanor, juvenile, or felony cases based upon experience.
• Assists management and other staff, as directed. Complies with legal standards and requirements.
• Three years as a successful practicing attorney with an equivalent trial background in criminal
law that provides the required skills, knowledge and abilities.
• Must be a current member in good standing of the Washington State Bar Association, OR must
be a current member in good standing of another State Bar Association AND must become a member of the Washington State Bar Association by passing the next Washington State Bar exam.
Trial experience in criminal law is preferred.
Spanish language fluency is desired
Background Check must meet County Criteria for criminal justice positions.
Must have a driving record that meets County standards and possess a valid driver’s license at time of hire and
• Deputy II – Range: 355
• 2021 Salary range: $6,671 – $8,985
This position receives annual pay increases to the next step in the associated salary range.
Excellent Whatcom County Benefits:
Comprehensive benefits package with 100% employer paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and dependents. Generous paid leave program, an average of 12 paid holidays per year, short and long-term disability. WA State Retirement System plus two additional deferred compensation programs with County match. A $50,000 Life Insurance policy is also provided for employees with the option to purchase family coverage. Additional benefit information is available online.
Application Special Instructions
Please upload your cover letter and resume here: CivicHR | Applicant Tracking System (civicplushrms.com)
For more information, click here.