Location: Bellingham, WA 98225
Job Type: Full-Time
Department: Public Defender’s Office
Job Number: S262 0423
Closing: 5/7/2023 11:59 PM Pacific
Hours of Work: Monday – Friday 8 AM – 5 PM
Salary: $7,794.00 – $11,317.00 Monthly
Acts as court-appointed counsel representing individuals accused of felonies in Superior Court.
- Represents appointed clients in all phases of criminal proceedings, including arraignment, pretrial hearings, trial preparation, plea negotiations, trial and sentencing.
- Responsible for the investigation and preparation of each case assigned.
- Primary caseload consists of felony cases based on experience.
- Assists management and other staff, as directed.
- Complies with legal standards and requirements.
- Must be a current member in good standing of the Washington State Bar Association, OR must be a current member in good standing of another State Bar Association AND must become a member of the Washington State Bar Association by passing the next Washington State Bar exam.
- Senior Deputy also requires 4 years as a successful practicing public defender or six years as a successful practicing attorney working with an equivalent trial background in criminal law that provides the required skills, knowledge and abilities.
- Spanish language fluency is desired.
- Background Check must meet County Criteria for criminal justice positions.
- Must have a driving record that meets County standards and possess a valid driver’s license at time of hire and throughout employment.
Hiring rate depends on qualifications. This position receives annual pay increases to the next step in the associated salary range (approx. 3.8%) subject to satisfactory performance, in addition to any negotiated Cost of Living Adjustments (COLA).
You can apply here.
For more job information, click here.