Whatcom County is seeking an Investigator in the Public Defender’s Office. (click here for online application).
The Investigator assists attorneys with all aspects of case development from initial client interviews through case disposition and post-convictions placement. This position interviews clients, witnesses and/or potential witnesses, records significant investigative findings, talks to other officials concerned.
Primary Job Duties: ·
- Independently performs crime scene investigations to gather information for use in legal actions, reviews police reports and case evidence. ·
- Coordinates evaluation and testing of physical evidence, monitors trial strategy and prepares and organizes trial notebooks for major felony and dependency fact finding hearings. ·
- Photographs crime scenes and prepares diagrams and charts for trial presentation. ·
- Interviews clients, witnesses and/or potential witnesses, records significant investigative findings, talks to other officials concerned. ·
- Investigative assignments include criminal, juvenile civil, juvenile delinquency, and dependency cases.
Visit the Job Description Page to view more details about this specific job. Supervisor: Investigative Supervisor
Requires a Bachelor’s degree in Law Enforcement, Criminal Justice or a related field, AND three years of investigative experience with a law enforcement agency, other governmental agency, public defender’s or prosecuting attorney’s office, or as a licensed private investigator. Knowledge of Revised Code of Washington is preferred. Oral and written fluency in Spanish is preferred. Must have a driving record that meets County standards and possess a valid driver’s license at time of hire and throughout employment. No Firearms will ever be carried as part of employment. Must pass job-related tests. Background check must meet County criteria. Must become a member of the local collective bargaining unit.
Salary Range: $26.97 – $38.89 per hour, DOQ This position receives annual pay increases to the next step in the associated salary range.
Excellent Whatcom County benefits:
NO COST Medical, dental, and vision coverage for employees and their family.
50, 000 life insurance coverage for employees.
Participation in the State Public Employees Retirement System (PERS).
In addition, we offer attractive paid leave provisions, including vacation, sick leave, and 13 holidays per year.
Application Special Instructions
In order for your application to be considered for the position you need to upload the following documents to your online application using the Document Upload area within your application:
· Cover Letter
· Recent Writing Sample such as a Redacted Investigative Summary.