Whatcom County Public Defender’s Office is seeking a temporary attorney to assist with its criminal defense caseload from October through December, 2019.
This position will primarily involve civil commitment representation (RCW 71.05) but may include the following:
- Acts as court-appointed counsel representing individuals accused of misdemeanors or felonies in superior, district and juvenile courts.
- Represents appointed clients in all phases of criminal proceedings, including arraignment, pretrial hearings, trial preparation, plea negotiations, trial and sentencing.
- Responsible for the investigation and preparation of each case assigned.
- Represents indigents in involuntary commitment proceedings and dependency proceedings.
- Primary caseload consists of misdemeanor, juvenile, or felony cases based upon experience.
- Assists management and other staff, as directed. Complies with legal standards and requirements.
This temporary position is funded through December 31, 2019 only.
- Must be a current member in good standing of the Washington State Bar Association.
- Criminal experience/civil commitment preferred
- Spanish language fluency is desired
- Background Check must meet County Criteria for criminal justice positions.
- Must have a driving record that meets County standards and possess a valid driver’s license at time of hire and throughout employment.
Whatcom County is an Equal Opportunity Employer
To apply: Please visit their website