|Deputy I, II or Senior Deputy, DOQ (Open Positions: 1)
Closes On: June 12, 2022 at 11:59 PM PST
Location: Public Defender’s Office, Bellingham, WA 98225
|Whatcom County Public Defender’s Office is currently recruiting for a attorney, Deputy I, II or Senior Deputy DOQ.
· Acts as court-appointed counsel representing individuals accused of misdemeanors or felonies in superior, district and juvenile courts.
· Represents appointed clients in all phases of criminal proceedings, including arraignment, pretrial hearings, trial preparation, plea negotiations, trial and sentencing.
· Responsible for the investigation and preparation of each case assigned.
· Primary caseload consists of misdemeanor, juvenile, or felony cases based upon experience.
· Assists management and other staff, as directed. Complies with legal standards and requirements.
For the full scope of the job view the job description:
Supervisor: Chief Deputy
|Must be a current member in good standing of the Washington State Bar Association, OR must be a current member in good standing of another State Bar Association AND must become a member of the Washington State Bar Association by passing the next Washington State Bar exam.
Deputy II also requires 3 years experience as a successful practicing attorney with a trial background in criminal law that satisfies the Washington Supreme Court’s Standards for Indigent Defense to handle felony cases.
Senior Deputy also requires 4 years as a successful practicing public defender or six years as a successful practicing attorney working with an equivalent trial background in criminal law that provides the required skills, knowledge and abilities.
Spanish language fluency is desired.
Background Check must meet County Criteria for criminal justice positions.
Must have a driving record that meets County standards and possess a valid driver’s license at time of hire and throughout employment.
AFSCME Public Defenders
Pending County Council approval on May 24, 2022 Salary Ranges will be:
- Deputy I : $5,928 – $7,992 per month
- Deputy II: $7,009 – $9,439 per month
- Deputy: $7,622 – $10,258 per month
This position receives annual pay increases to the next step in the associated salary range.
Excellent Whatcom County Benefits:
Comprehensive benefits package with 100% employer paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and dependents. Generous paid leave program, an average of 13 paid holidays per year, short and long-term disability. WA State Retirement System plus two additional deferred compensation programs with County match. A $50,000 Life Insurance policy is also provided for employees with the option to purchase family coverage. Additional benefit information is available online.
Application Special Instructions
Please upload your cover letter and resume to: https://wa-whatcomcounty.civicplushrms.com/PrivateCareerPortal/JobDetail.aspx?RequisitionId=98068&SourceId=1858