|Closes On: May 15, 2022 at 11:59 PM PST
Location: Public Defender’s Office, Bellingham, WA 98225
Apply @: https://wa-whatcomcounty.civicplushrms.com/PrivateCareerPortal/JobDetail.aspx?RequisitionId=95119&SourceId=1858
|Whatcom County Public Defender’s Office is currently recruiting for an experienced Deputy I or Deputy II, DOQ attorney to fill a key role in the department.
· Acts as court-appointed counsel representing individuals accused of misdemeanors or felonies in superior, district and juvenile courts.
· Represents appointed clients in all phases of criminal proceedings, including arraignment, pretrial hearings, trial preparation, plea negotiations, trial and sentencing.
· Responsible for the investigation and preparation of each case assigned.
· Primary caseload consists of misdemeanor, juvenile, or felony cases based upon experience.
· Assists management and other staff, as directed. Complies with legal standards and requirements.
For the full scope of the job view the job description:
Supervisor: Chief Deputy
|Must be a current member in good standing of the Washington State Bar Association, OR must be a current member in good standing of another State Bar Association AND must become a member of the Washington State Bar Association by passing the next Washington State Bar exam.
Deputy II also requires 3 years experience as a successful practicing attorney with a trial background in criminal law that satisfies the Washington Supreme Court’s Standards for Indigent Defense to handle felony cases.
Spanish language fluency is desired.
Background Check must meet County Criteria for criminal justice positions.
Must have a driving record that meets County standards and possess a valid driver’s license at time of hire and throughout employment.
Range 335 for AFSCME Public Defenders
Hiring Range: $5,643 – $6,101 per month, depending on qualifications
Full Salary: $5,643 – $7,607 per month
Range 355 for AFSCME Public Defenders
Hiring Range: $6,671 – $7,209 per month, depending on qualifications
Full Salary: $6,671 – $8,985 per month
This position receives annual pay increases to the next step in the associated salary range.
Excellent Whatcom County Benefits:
NO COST Medical, dental, and vision coverage for employees and their family. Generous paid leave program, an average of 13 paid holidays per year, short and long-term disability. WA State Retirement System plus two additional deferred compensation programs with County match. A $50,000 Life Insurance policy is also provided for employees with the option to purchase family coverage. Additional benefit information is available online.
Application Special Instructions
Please upload your cover letter and resume.