Yelish & Barker is a Criminal Defense and Family Law firm located in the Kitsap County seat of Port Orchard, Washington. We represent indigent people on an appointment basis in Kitsap County District Court, Kitsap County Juvenile Court, Kitsap County Superior Court, and the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington.
We are seeking a driven and ambitious criminal defense lawyer to join our law firm. You will be primarily responsible for representing clients in a wide range of misdemeanor criminal cases appointed to the firm by the Kitsap County Office of Public Defense. You will interpret laws and advise clients about their legal rights and options, conduct thorough research, and present evidence in court.
To excel in this role, you will display a passion for representing indigent clients, criminal justice, a strong understanding of litigation strategies, and exceptional public-speaking skills. You should also show compassion toward your clients and conduct yourself in a professional manner, irrespective of the crime of which they have been accused. Previous experience as a criminal lawyer is advantageous but not required.
- Conduct research and analyze a case to determine a probable outcome and devise an effective strategy to defend your client/s in court.
- Interpret laws for clients and help them to understand their legal options.
- Represent clients at arraignments, hearings, and trials.
- Present evidence to a judge and/or jury should the case go to trial.
- Prepare and draft legal documents, including legal briefs and may include appeals.
- Negotiate plea negotiations, sanctions/ penalties, and settlements.
- Undergo ongoing training to stay updated about changes and new developments in the legal field.
- Conduct yourself in an ethical and professional manner at all times.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field.
- Juris doctor law degree from an American Bar Association accredited law school.
- Passed WA bar exam.
- Experience may be preferred.
- Comply with local, state, and federal laws.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong critical thinking and research skills.
- Excellent decision-making and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work autonomously and with a team of attorneys.
The salary range we are offering is $60,000-$80,000 per year plus benefits DOE.
To apply, please send a letter of interest, resume, and a writing sample of 5 pages or less to Laura Yelish via email: firstname.lastname@example.org