Engaging New Generations of Public Defenders
Washington Defender Association, in partnership with Gonzaga School of Law, Seattle University School of Law, and the University of Washington School of Law, created the Defenders Rising project in 2019. The goal of Defenders Rising is three fold: to cultivate the next generation of public defenders while they are in law school, to increase diversity in the indigent defense bar, and to foster relationships between future defenders and defender offices across the state.
How to Get Engaged:
- Join our Email List! Email email@example.com with title, “Defender Rising” to be added. This is the best way to learn about all the latest events such as panels with defender offices.
- Law students can join WDA—Student memberships are just $20/year. This will unlock all Continuing Education Classes, including our annual Leadership Conference, practice advisories and briefs in a variety of areas of criminal, family defense, and juvenile defense, and legislative work that shapes the laws of Washington State. Click the link to join and select Student Membership when you reach the payment screen: https://defensenet.org/engage/join/
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org with title, “Defender Rising/Extern or Intern Positions” find out about which offices have internship or externship opportunities.
- Join us at a training or networking event! WDA hosts webinars, conferences, and various other training programs that you are encouraged to attend. We also will be hosting Defenders Rising specific events, including panels with public defender offices across the state.
- We will be hosting two Public Defender Panels in the Spring of 2023 (dates/times TBD) Click here for more information about the prior event!