Whatcom County Public Defender’s Office in Bellingham, WA is seeking an experienced attorney, preferably a Senior Deputy.
· Acts as court-appointed counsel representing individuals accused of misdemeanors or felonies in superior, district and juvenile courts.
· Represents appointed clients in all phases of criminal proceedings, including arraignment, pretrial hearings, trial preparation, plea negotiations, trial and sentencing.
· Responsible for the investigation and preparation of each case assigned.
· Primary caseload consists of misdemeanors. Juvenile, or felony cases may be assigned based upon experience.
· Assists management and other staff, as directed. Complies with legal standards and requirements.
· Complies with legal standards and requirements.
Senior Deputy preferred. Please view the job descriptions for the full scope of the job levels:
Supervisor: Chief Deputy
Hours of Work: Monday – Friday 8AM – 5PM
Salary Range: AFSCME- Range 8, 11, or 12 DOQ – Relocation Expenses Available
Hiring rate depends on qualifications. This position receives annual pay increases to the next step in the associated salary range (apx. 3.8%) subject to satisfactory performance, in addition to any negotiated Cost of Living Adjustments (COLA).
Senior Deputy I:
· Successful completion of two years as a Deputy II in the Whatcom County Public Defender’s Office OR
· Six years of experience as a public defender, prosecuting attorney, or private criminal defense counsel AND
· Qualified under the Standards of Indigent Defense to handle felony cases OR qualified for class A.
· Must either be a current member of the Washington State Bar Association OR be eligible to waive into Washington Bar Membership based on admission in another state.
· Spanish language fluency is desired.
· Background Check must meet County Criteria for criminal justice positions.
· Must have a driving record that meets County standards and possess a valid driver’s license at time of hire and throughout employment.
· Successful completion of two years as a Whatcom County Deputy I in the Whatcom County Public Defender’s Office and performance-based approval of promotion by the Public Defender, OR
· Three years of experience as a public defender, prosecuting attorney, or private criminal defense counsel and qualified under the Standards of Indigent Defense to handle felony cases.
At its sole discretion, Whatcom County may consider combinations of education, experience, certifications, and training in lieu of specifically required qualifications contained herein.
Apply online: Click Here