Case Support

Caring for Children While Parent is Incarcerated

Making Caregiving Arrangements for Children

This page contains frequently asked questions about how to use the new power of attorney for parents who are temporarily unavailable pursuant to RCW 11.130.145 and that became effective June 11, 2020. It contains a questionnaire and downloadable form.  From Northwest Justice Project, external link.

This page contains resources related to families whose members have differing immigration and citizenship status or whose members so not have U.S. citizenship. 

This page is linked to the website for the Washington State Department of Children, Youth and Families (DCYF). It was created to help people with lived experience of past Child Protective Services (CPS) investigations and who received founded child abuse or neglect findings.  Since these founded findings in Washington State are permanent findings and will not be removed, there is a new process, codified at RCW 74.13.720 and RCW 74.13.730,  to have DCYF issue a certificate of parental improvement that must be accepted by Washington State Department of Social & Health Services, and other state agencies, in the background check process.


Family Law Assistance in WA for Incarcerated Parents

Please see some resources on what’s available for incarcerated parents who cannot afford to retain an attorney to represent them in family court here.